Saturday, May 24, 2014

ICAD: Ready, Set...

It's almost that time again. Daisy Yellow's Index-Card-a-Day Challenge has become one of the things I look forward to most each Summer. 


If you are not familiar with 
Daisy Yellow's annual Index-Card-a-Day Challenge 
check out Tammy's ICAD FAQ for the {simple} details. 

This years doodled name card done with colored pencil then a watercolor wash was added.

I could sing the praises of ICAD for a long time. I credit it as one of the major factors in my creative life in the last 5 years. This blog was started in the Spring of 2009. The purpose was and largely still is to motivate me to make art a daily priority and be a part of the creative community. ICAD really helped me develop a regular (but low pressure) creative habit.

ICAD is at it's heart a simple but powerful idea. The first year of 61 days of regular art making showed me I did not need to wait for the perfect conditions in life or a long stretch of solitary time to create. It wasn't practical in my life then or still. A few minutes and simple supplies are really all that are needed to exercise creativity and start the flow of inspiration. 

This years on the go supplies include pens, pencil, eraser, glue stick and some index cards.

This Summer I will be at home with my two children and we will be doing ICAD together. We will be traveling to Summer Camps and to visit family and our supplies will travel with us. I have done cards on my break at work, between household chores, early in the morning and late at night. It is a doable and fun challenge. 

Warm Up Exercise #5: Grid, bottom card by my daughter(10)

I couldn't speak about ICAD without mentioning the great community of people who participate. There is so much inspiration and fun in sharing each year. Karen and Teresa are just a couple of the wonderful people I have gotten to know through ICAD. 

I will be sharing a weekly wrap up of my ICAD cards here on the blog and also posting to my growing Flickr album even more often. You can see all of my cards from the previous three years there as well.