Thursday, January 9, 2014

#365ArtJournal: January Journal

More about the physical journal housing my dailies as promised. This month's journal is one I bound myself. It is a nice thick book and dimensions I like at about 5.5 x 11 inches. 


The book was made a while back and I started using it as a writing journal. A few pages in was as far as I made it. That is part of why I now use my daily journal as home to everything. Separate journals are often out of sight and out of mind. I just collaged over the few pages with writing. 


 The cover paper was also decorated by me using a combination of techniques like stamping and wax resists. This was done on a sheet of printmaking paper called Tableau that is sadly not available any longer. It was my favorite and I have yet to find a replacement. The cover inset is made from white polymer clay pressed into a leave. 


The book is bound with a Coptic stitch and has no board at the spine edge. I love the way the exposed spine bindings lie flat when opened. If you are interested in learning this stitch there are lots of videos online demonstrating it. I would suggest this video by Sea Lemon on You Tube. While I do my stitch slightly differently, I think she provides nice clear instruction on her videos.


This is a shot of the edges of my pages at just 9 days in. It's getting full very fast.