Monday, December 2, 2013

Mail Art 365: Found Inspiration

"You may not be a Picasso or Mozart but you don't have to be. Just create to create. Create to remind yourself you're still alive. Make stuff to inspire others to make something, too. Create to learn a bit more about yourself."
- Frederick Terral


Do you ever get inspired by packaging? I find some of the recycled materials, even trash used by artists like Diane to be so interesting. It is a challenge I have contemplated for some time. This set of post cards were inspired by a clothing label sticker whose words and colors appealed to me.


I wound up using them along with several other re-purposed items including other packaging and interesting cancelled postage stamps off of envelopes. The base of each is from a set of recycled cards gifted to me by my sister. 


I also decided to incorporate parts of some mail art pieces I had received. They were pieces that really appealed to me. After having enjoyed them for some time I felt like giving them a new life, sending them on to be enjoyed by someone else was a better life for them than preserved in a book or box out of sight.