Monday, November 18, 2013

Mail Art Monday: Origin Story

I have a blog schedule in my head but it usually doesn't translate into reality. On that schedule, Monday is for posting all the fun I had over the past week making mail art. Sometimes it happens on Monday sometimes it shows up on another day. I recently read that "the only reason it make plans it to break them". I'm going with that. 




Today I have a little extra inspiration for a Mail Art Monday post from Karen at Mail Me Some Art. She suggested we share our stories about how we got involved in mail art. Kind of like a superhero's origin story. Just one warning, if I was a super hero my super power would be organization so don't expect anything too dramatic. 

I am on my second adventure with mail art. I first heard about it so long ago (collage days) that I can't honestly remember how but if I know me I probably read about it in a book. We are talking pre-Facebook days of the internet. I made my first connections in the mail art community back when Yahoo Groups was about the only way to organize swaps. Mail art lead me to artistamps as well. 


We moved several times and life got busy. As my daughter got a bit older I started back into art forms more for myself like art journaling and I had found Tammy's blog - Daisy Yellow and participated in the Index Card a Day Challenges she hosts. That really helped me develop a regular creative habit and explore the things I most wanted to focus on with my art. When I started this blog back in 2009 some of my first posts where Artist Trading Cards.


Looking back over my Flickr photo stream and old blog posts, I think one of the first things to get me back into making and sending mail art was the International Mixed-Media Postcard Swap and iHanna's DIY postcard Swap

I became familar with Karen's art through ICAD and started following her blog. Through swaps like these and others I have developed a nice group of people I swap art with and even decided to dedicate this year to a 365 project of mail art and collage. It's definatly something I will continue. 

Here are some of the blogs, swaps, books that have influenced me most regarding mail art and correspondence. 



I look forward to reading all the posts linked up at MMSA's Mail Art Monday. See you in the mail!