Sunday, June 17, 2012

July Journal Bind Along: Compiling the Text Block

Interested in bookbinding? Want to customize your own art journal or daily planner? Looking to give yourself a little push towards integrating creativity into your daily routine?


Previously I shared a look at my June Journal. Join in or follow along as I bind another customized daily planner. 

In this series of blog posts we will:
Once your supplies are gathered, it's time to turn our attention to the layout of any pages where you would like to have pre-printed content.


I want my journal to have a daily planner page for each weekday in the month. My text pages will be folded from 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper (216 mm x 279 mm) so I start with a plain white sheet the same size and determine the area I have to work within. Normally, you would be folding your pages simply in half (and if you would like to bind a simplified version feel free to do so). A unique feature of this journal is the flaps or smaller pages created by the asymmetrical fold. I have determined my pages will be folded 7 1/2 inches (19.5 cm) from the left side. I want my planner page to be on the left side of my pages fold because this layout will give me a planner area on the left and a blank page on the right through out the book.

Beginning the planning.

Consider what you would like to have pre-printed on your pages. Would a weekly calendar or daily planning page be helpful. Feel like creating a handful of journaling prompts to greet you, a block to doodle in icons recording the daily weather. Perhaps an area ready for you to note the days gratitude or accomplishments, a to-do list or maybe a "done" list. Let your creativity go wild and work up a layout that you can scan and print off creating multiple pages. Use rubber stamps or doodle your designs. Create your layout in a computer program or on your vintage typewriter. 

Here is an example approach to creating a layout.

Once you have a clear copy of the layout scan it and print off multiple copies. How many? I needed 22 copies for my daily page to have one each weekday in July. I will pair each of those with a blank sheet.  My book will be around 44 sheets, giving me a book about 1/2 inch  (12.7 mm) thick judging by my previous journal.

Here I have my master layout (white) and an example 
of a printed sheet for the journal.

Now that we have all of our printed pages, it's time to fold each one. Since I am not folding the pages in half, I tape down a ruler as a guide. 

This example visualized the process of determining 
where to fold each sheet.


I can place each sheet parallel to the ruler and fold at the 7 1/2 inch point (19.5 cm). I make the fold the first time with my hands. 

In this example you can see the folded page, lined area 
highlighting the reverse side of the sheet.

Then take your bone folder and crease the fold from center out to each edge. Now you have created a nice crisp fold that will hold and make a difference throughout your book. 

Making the fold crisp with the assistance of a bone folder.

Repeat the folding process sheet by sheet.


I am pairing up one printed daily planner page with one blank page. I go ahead and nest these folded sheets in pairs.






Now that all of my text pages are folded, nested and stacked I'll use a single sheet of card stock for one more page I need for my text block. This sheet will simply be folded in half. 




That's all for today's post. Next time we start off with ordering the pages and preparing to bind the text block. If you have any questions so far, I would love for you to share them in the comment section below. Your question will most likely be helpful to someone else as well. 

Visit my Flickr photo set for more images of the June and July Journals in progress.