Thursday, April 5, 2012

Creativity Queue Challenge - Day Seven

So can you believe we are at Day Seven already? 
(For past days be sure to check out Daisy Yellow's Creativity Queue Challenge)

Here's my offering today. It's a newer addition to my to do list. If you've visited my blog before you probably know I really like to sew on paper. It does have some limitation and of course I love fabric as well. So how to combine the two in harmony. It's something I have been mulling over and experimenting toward. 

So when I ran across this book, it caught my eye. I flipped through it and thought it was something I wanted to read further. 


And after reading a bit I had to get going and see where this could take me. I gathered my supplies like freezer paper and thinned down glue. I found a quite moment and started playing. 


It's a pretty simple process of using fabric as a base and building up a collage of paper layers. I just happened to have some assorted hole punch dots and a million other goodies around. 


This piece of paper-cloth became an experiment in using a variety of papers. It incorporates everything from gift wrap tissue paper, old book pages and scraps of a variety of decorative papers. 


It can be approached as a collage, quilt or background. 


I played around with muslin, canvas and dryer sheets as base fabric. There's so many options.


Once the sheets had some drying time, I added machine stitching as the next layer. Having the fabric base makes the paper more durable for heavy free-motion stitching. 


Then I added on some acrylic paint. We will see where it goes once that dries. I also want to play around with mixing in more fabric and some personal images in future experiments. 


If this interests you I would recommend checking out a copy of Stitch Alchemy by Kelli Perkins. It is a pretty simple technique but there are lots of options she presents in her book for building the paper-cloth base, adding surface design elements and incorporating the finished pieces in your work. 

As always, hop on over to Daisy Yellow for Tammy's Day Seven post, visit the days hosts and links to more participants.