Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent, Limits and Letting Go

 An artist’s studio should be a small space because small rooms 
discipline the mind and large ones distract it. ~Leonardo da Vinci


Just a short note in case you are checking in or wondering what's up here. I'm still creating but taking it a bit slow. Monday was a school holiday so that means more time with the family. I am also fighting off what is apparently an ear infection. 

It's hard for me to take it slow, yet I crave it. I need quiet time to read, write, create and experiment. I love to be at home and putter around. Sometimes I do not give that gift to myself. We all get on the merry-go-round of life and it's super charged by technology these days. I reach out for companionship but set off my balance. 


During Lent this year I am going to get back to reading good books, writing letters, making art, spending more time with my family and taking some time to do no more than think. To do that I am going to be giving up as much internet as possible. After all my to do list is internet based, as well as my meal planning and creative project list. It is a tool I enjoy. But it is also too easy to use it in a mindless way as well. 

It's a big issue for thought. One I have been contemplating for a while. I go in huge emotional swings about the wonders of the modern world of constant contact through email, Twitter, Facebook, Google+. Information at your finger tips, inspiration coming at you in so many forms adding to your quality of life or just adding.  

I will still be around some but if it's quieter than expected, you will know where I am and that I will be back around. 

It's good to know I'm not the only one working on this balance. How about you?