Sunday, December 11, 2011

Brown Inspiration



In choosing colors...follow nature's lead. ~ John Saladino


Welcome to another day of Daisy Yellow's Building a Rainbow. Today I am happy to host one of our colors - Brown. So you maybe thinking...
Brown is boring.


But no, I say brown is like that supporting actor. You know the one you always struggle to remember his name. Wow, he was so good in that movie. How does did he do that accent? He makes you forget and re-imagine him as someone else. He is the character he is playing.


Okay, maybe not that dramatic but don't we take ol' boring brown for granted? Stop and think about it. Some of your favorite things are brown I bet. A few of my favorites - coffee, chocolate, tea, my favorite bag and winter boots, my daughters hair. When I think of browns, I think of rich, natural textures, the earth, spices, the changes of the season that promise rebirth.


I sit in a studio with brown walls. They are the color of a chocolate bar. They are the rich background for the chaos of color in art on the walls, my supplies and textiles in the room. I wanted to paint them brown back when we moved into the house, before this room had a particular purpose. I almost talked myself out of it. Some people were skeptical. I decided it was only paint. I am glad I did.



Need to be reminded how inspiring brown can be? Here are some lovely works with brown as the focus on my Pinterest board - Brown Inspiration


So today consider giving brown a staring role. In the mean time be sure to check out our other color today - GREY - along with links to everyone's work at Daisy Yellow (including something from me soon).

**** All this thinking about color reminded me of a book I read with my daughter. Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O'Neill has some interesting poems about colors. Brown and Orange were some of my favorites. If you have never heard of it you might want to see if you can check it out from your local library or take a peak at it here on Amazon.