Tuesday, October 18, 2011

90 days of Creativity

Yesterday marked 90 days since I decided to dedicate time each day to creating.

I enjoyed reading Gretchen Rubin's book The Happiness Project and follow her blog. I admire the way she distills thoughts down to simple and easy to remember statements such as her Personal Commandments and Splendid Truths. My own (very small) project has helped me think about my creativity (and happiness). I thought I would share a few things I have learned. Some of them may be true for you as well.
  • Having fun is the most important thing for me and really that's why I started this, to get back to having fun making art.
  • It's good to learn new things. I learned how to schedule a blog post and shared my first video flip through of one of my journals. I figured out the seemingly cryptic language of Twitter. I found some amazing classes available online. I found Pinterest and started using Google+.
  • I have found inspiration and a community of others traveling a similar journey. I have joined in the projects at Daisy Yellow for ICAD and Traci Bunkers' for 30 Days of Get Your Art On. A stay-at-home creative mom can feel pretty lonely sometimes. Sometimes it helps to just know your not the only one. 
  • I have stopped waiting for the perfect situation to create. I may not have a full day alone to work uninterrupted in the studio but I can find 30 minutes and maybe longer. I started being prepared for those opportunities by keeping an action list of about 5 things to do in the studio as I think of them. Next time I have time to spend in the studio I can get right to work. 
  • Developing a daily creative habit has been beneficial in more ways than I thought it would. Just setting down to work is where it all starts. I think Samantha Kira Harding explains it well in her recent post. And if you need even more inspiration check our karenika's post on how she makes it all work. 
So there's a few thoughts I have wrapped my head around over the past 3 months. I am sure I will find a few more as I go along. I can't imagine stopping now. Maybe I will start getting up an hour before the kids or tackle a daily exercise regiment next. Well anythings possible.